Simple White Cake Recipe
This recipe is another easy to make a cake for either everyday dessert or special occasions. It is created from scratch, but takes little time to put it together. You can bake it that afternoon and have it ready to go for an evening get together.
- 250g (8.8 oz) of white sugar
- 120g (4.2 oz) of butter
- 2 Eggs
- 10ml (.33 fl oz) of vanilla extract
- 350g (12.3 oz) of all purpose flour
- 9g (.31 oz) of baking powder
- 120ml (4 fl oz)of milk
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C.
- Prepare a 23X23 cm pan by greasing and flouring it, or use paper liners to line a muffin pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium size mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- After combining the flour and baking powder, mix well into the creamed mixture.
- Add the milk, stirring until the batter is smooth.
- Either pour or spoon the batter into the prepared pan of your choice. For a cake, bake 30 – 40 minutes at 175 degrees C.
- If you are making cupcakes, bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- To test for doneness, touch lightly. If it springs back, it is done. Use any frosting of your choice to finish.
- This recipe makes 12 servings.
Birthday Cake Recipe
This first recipe is a simple cake made from scratch that can be used to make any type of celebratory cake. The instructions are easy to follow and ingredients are simple to find in your local grocery store.
- 500g (17 oz) of sifted cake flour
- 350g (11.9 oz) of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baker powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120ml (4 fl oz) of vegetable oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 180ml (6 fl oz) of cold water
- 2 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon of lemon extract
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 recipe of Williamsburg Butter Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C.
- Using hot soapy water, wash a 25 cm angel food tube pan to make sure it is completely free of grease.
- Next, measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a sifter, and sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the middle of these dry ingredients. Going in the order listed, add the oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon flavoring to the well. Set aside without beating.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together forming stiff peaks. Set this aside.
- Next, use the same beaters to beat the egg yolk batter until it is light and smooth.
- Gradually pour over the eggs using a rubber spatula to fold it all in. Do not stir.
- Pour the batter into the angel food tube pan.
- Bake the cake for 55 minutes at 165 degrees C.
- Then increase the heat to 180 degrees C and bake an additional 10 – 15 minutes until the cake is done.
- Invert the pan until the cake cools.
- This makes approximately 12 servings.
Lemon Bars are a favorite at parties, teas, bake sales, or just as family treats. This is an easy to make recipe that turns out tasting like you spent hours in the kitchen. People will beg you to share you secret with them so they can get compliments, too.
- 200g (7 oz) of all purpose flour
- 80g (2.8 oz) confectioners’ sugar
- 170g (6 oz) butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 300g (10.5oz) white sugar
- 25g (8.8 oz) all purpose flour
- 60ml (2 fl oz) of lemon juice – fresh squeezed works best
- 40g (1.4 oz) confectioners’ sugar – used for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 80gs Confectioners’ sugar, and the butter.
- Press the dough into the greased pan. Bake this for 20 minutes or until slightly golden in color.
- While the crust is baking, combine the eggs, white sugar, flour, and lemon juice and whisk together until the mixture is frothy.
- Remove baked crust from the oven and pour lemon mixture over the hot crust.
- Put all back into the oven and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes, or until it’s a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over the top of the lemon bars.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Marshmallow Treats have been a favorite of kids of all ages for many years. Simple and inexpensive to make, everyone loves these tasty treats. One recipe is rarely enough to keep up with the serving demand. If you and your children decide to make this one, you may want to at least double the recipe.
- 60g (2.10 oz) butter
- 200g (7 oz) miniature marshmallows
- 140g (5 oz) crisp rice cereal
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are melted and well-blended.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add the cereal and stir until it is well coated.
- Butter a spatula and use to press the mixture evenly and firmly into the pan. Cool.
- Cut into 2 x 2 inch squares.
- This recipe makes 24 servings.
Jumbo Oatmeal Cookie
This first cookie recipe is perfect to use in place of a birthday cake, or any other special occasion that usually calls for a cake. It is delicious and can be decorated any way you want. For a larger group, the recipe can be doubled or tripled according to how many servings you need.
- 100g (3.5 oz) of all purpose flour
- 60g (2.10 oz) rolled oat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch baking soda
- 80g (2.8 oz) butter
- 65g (2.3 oz) white sugar
- 75g (2.6 oz) brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix until well blended. Gradually add in the dry mixture.
- Stir well until all is thoroughly mixed. Lightly grease and flour a pizza pan. Press the cookie mixture onto the pan.
- Chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins can be added by pressing them into the dough once it is spread on the pizza pan.
- Bake the cookie in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookie is lightly browned.
- Allow cookie to cool for 10 to 15 minutes in the pan on a rack. Loosen the cookie very carefully with a spatula.
- Cookie may be left in the pan but to serve whole, as in a birthday cake, you will need to slide it out of the pan and continue to cool on the rack.
- Decorate cooled cookie with any type of frosting desired.
- One cookie makes 12 servings.