Baked Apples with Grapes
- 4 large red apples
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 250 g (9 oz) seedless black grapes
- good pinch of cinnamon
- 4 walnuts for decoration whipped cream or ice cream
- 375 ml (12.5 fl oz) water
- 250 ml (8.5 fl oz) white wine
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 piece of lemon peel, no pith
- For the syrup: in a pan, combine wine, water, golden syrup and lemon peel.
- Bring to the boil, stirring and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Get rid of lemon peel.
- Meanwhile, peel and core the apples.
- Add apples to the syrup and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Take the apples out and place in a greased ovenproof casserole.
- Add cinnamon and butter to the remaining syrup and stir.
- Add half the grapes and cook for 8-10 minutes, basting and stirring until soft and syrupy.
- Lift out the grapes and heap on top of apples pressing into core holes using a slotted spoon.
- Keep syrup in pan warm.
- Cover casserole and cook in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining grapes around apples and pour warm syrup over apples and grapes.
- Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream.