Doi potol is an eminent vegetarian dish belonging to the Bengali cuisine. It is a party dish and functions as a vegetarian alternative to spicy meat dishes.
The potol or pointed gourd is cooked in spicy yoghurt based sauce. This dish finds a sure-short place in the menu card of any Bong party held in the summertime. Doi potol aptly shows off the richness of Bengali cuisine. It goes well both with rice preparations such as pulao, veg-biriyani or ghee rice as well as with luchi or paratha. Doi potol is a traditional dish of our family.
My mouth still waters when I remember the tasty doi potol cooked by my grand mother. She had been an expert cook and used to experiment a lot with potol.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Large potol-500 grams
- Yoghurt-1 cup
- Ginger juice-2 tablespoon
- Cumin powder-1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder-1 tablespoon
- Grounded black pepper-1 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder-1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar-1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf-1
- Cinnamon stick-1
- Oil for frying potol
- Ghee-2 tablespoon
- Scrap the potol peel lengthwise and chop off the two ends. You can use a peeler for scraping.
- Wash and dry the scrape potols. Mingle them with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Fry the potols until they turn golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cumin powder, coriander powder, grounded black pepper, chilly powder, garam masala powder and little water to make a smooth paste.
- Now heat ghee in the kadhai and add bay leaf, clove, cardamom and cinnamon and sauté until they start crackling.
- Then add the fried potols, masala paste, sprinkle little water and stir and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Add the ginger juice followed by the adding of yoghurt. Stir and mix well with the potol and masalas.
- Add salt, sugar mix and cook on high flame for 2-3 minutes
- Now lower the flame, cover and simmer until the potol grows tender.
- Remove the lid and cook till the ghee leaves the sides of the kadhai
- Your doi potol is ready for serving
Serve hot with luchi or pulao.