For a true homemade pudding, follow this recipe. It can be made as either a tasty vanilla pudding or a chocolate lover’s delight. As it’s made from scratch, it does take a bit of time to put it all together, but the final result is well worth the effort.
For Pudding Mix
- 300g (10.5 oz) of nonfat dry milk powder
- 300g (10.5 oz) of sugar
- 100g (3.5 oz) of cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
To make the Pudding
- 500ml (17 fl oz) of milk or water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine the pudding mix ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- To make the pudding, combine mix and milk in a sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and bring to a boil.
- Let it boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
- Stir a small portion of this mixture into the beaten egg and return to the pan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Mix all well.
- Pour into custard dishes.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- If you want to make Chocolate Pudding, add 3 tbsp of baking cocoa to 1.2 cups of the pudding mix before mixing it with the milk.
- This recipe makes 16 servings.