Yesterday my BF turned 35 so a cake was needed. I thought about doing chocolate cake or some other classic cake, but it is so hot that I wasn’t really convinced.
Then it hit me: what about a no bake lemon cake? In Italy Dr Oekter has this line of no bake dessert that include the no bake yogurt cake I made a couple of weeks ago and a lemon cake. I thought I could look up the recipe for the lemon cake: if there is a way of making the yogurt cake without using the mix there must be a way of doing the lemon cake as well! I started looking around and I found this recipe. It’s in Italian of course, but it seemed perfect. So I got all the ingredients and I prepared the cake.
Turned out quite well, didn’t it?
- 20 graham crackers
- 2 spoons melted butter
- 2 lemons
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet gelatin
- 5 oz. sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Prepare the base of the cake by blending the cookies with the butter. The crumbs should be wet with butter. Place the crumbs in the pan and press them down with a spoon into a uniform layer. Place the pan in the fridge so that the base can solidify.
- Soak the jelly in 1/4 cup cold water. Start a syrup by cooking the remaining water (1/4 cup) with the sugar for about 10-15 minutes. Finally warm up the gelatin with the juice of 1 lemon until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Meanwhile beat your egg whites to stiff peaks. Slowly pour the hot syrup over the egg whites and keep mixing with an hand blender. Add half the lemon juice with the gelatin to the mixture and keep beating. Finally add the juice of the remaining lemon. Keep beating the mixture until it cools down.
- Now whip up the cream in a separate bowl and then slowly add it to the mixture with a spoon. Pour this cream over the base layer and put in the fridge to rest for about 4 hours.
- You can decorate the cake with your favorite fruit or with a layer of yellow gelatin. This time I choose to use strawberries.