Birthday Cake Recipe
This first recipe is a simple cake made from scratch that can be used to make any type of celebratory cake. The instructions are easy to follow and ingredients are simple to find in your local grocery store.
- 500g (17 oz) of sifted cake flour
- 350g (11.9 oz) of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baker powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120ml (4 fl oz) of vegetable oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 180ml (6 fl oz) of cold water
- 2 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon of lemon extract
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 recipe of Williamsburg Butter Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C.
- Using hot soapy water, wash a 25 cm angel food tube pan to make sure it is completely free of grease.
- Next, measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a sifter, and sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the middle of these dry ingredients. Going in the order listed, add the oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon flavoring to the well. Set aside without beating.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together forming stiff peaks. Set this aside.
- Next, use the same beaters to beat the egg yolk batter until it is light and smooth.
- Gradually pour over the eggs using a rubber spatula to fold it all in. Do not stir.
- Pour the batter into the angel food tube pan.
- Bake the cake for 55 minutes at 165 degrees C.
- Then increase the heat to 180 degrees C and bake an additional 10 – 15 minutes until the cake is done.
- Invert the pan until the cake cools.
- This makes approximately 12 servings.