After baking some pretty good pretzel rolls the other day, I am on a roll and decided to bake some more bread, I am also thinking of completely quitting buying bread and only baking it at home… I think home baked bread turn out much better, than most bread you buy in supermarkets, is cheaper and with a bit of organization and possibly by deciding to buy a stand mixer, can be fitted in our everyday busy schedule.
So here is what I did.
- 2 cups of unbleached flour
- 1 cup of cornflower
- 1 tablespoon of dry yeast
- 1 and 1/2 cup of warm water
- In the morning I mixed the yeast with a cup of warm water and a pinch of sugar. Placed the rest of the dry ingredients in a bowl and created a well in the middle. I let the yeast rest for a couple of minutes and then poured everything in the well. With a fork I mixed the water with the flour and then I started kneading the dough by hand adding the rest of the water. When the dough was well mixed, elastic and not sticky, I put a lid on the bowl and went to work. I got back in the evening and my bread was ready to bake. I turned on the oven at 450F and place my pizza stone on the middle rack to warm up. I divided the dough in 8 small rolls, the size of a small orange, shaped them in sort of an oval shape and cut a slit lengthwise and let the rolls rest covered while the oven warmed up. When the oven was at the right temperature, I got the stone out, put my rolls on the stone and put everything back in the oven to cook for about 20 minutes or until ready. Great fragrant rolls to go with your dinner!
- What do you think should I buy a stand mixer and vow never to buy bread again?