Sweet Potato Pie
This next recipe is a holiday favorite but can certainly be made and served any time of the year. Tasty and healthy, it’s the perfect low fat dessert for family dinners or social gatherings with friends.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon of heavy cream
- 1 regular size condensed tomato soup
- 220g (7.8 oz) of brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1g of ground cinnamon
- 2gs of ground nutmeg
- 20cm (7.9 inches) unbaked pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
- Cover the potatoes with water in a medium size sauce pan, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cream. Use a mixer at medium speed to beat until the potatoes are fluffy and nearly smooth in texture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the soup, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir this into the potato mixture. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and put it on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.
- Pie is done when the center is set.
- Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. This recipe makes 8 servings.
Fresh mashed sweet potatoes can be substituted with 1 ¾ cups of canned sweet potatoes, drained and mashed.