Couscous is a Berber dish of semolina traditionally served with a meat or vegetable stew and it is staple food among the people Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and even Africa. Couscous is like little pasta it does not have it own taste but mingle very well with different veggies, spices and sauce. It can be prepared in minutes and it provides plenty of taste and nourishment so it is gaining popularity all over the world.
Traditionally the process of preparing couscous is to steam it but today we will try a fusion style. We will cook couscous with Indian spices. This vegetable couscous pulao is a quick, convenient and a delectable dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Vegetable Couscous Pulao Ingredients
- 250g plain couscous
- ¼ cup thin sliced baby corn
- ¼ cup sliced carrot
- ¼ cup chopped French beans
- ½ cup chopped red, green, yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 1 tsp julienned Ginger
- 1 chopped green chilly
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- Whole grarm masala 4 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon , 2 cardamom
- ½ tsp whole cumin seed
- 1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/8 tsp garam masala powder
- Hing 2 pinch
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp vegetable oil
- Fresh chopped coriander handful
- 1 tsp Sugar or to taste
- Salt to taste
Vegetable Couscous Pulao Cooking Method
- Take a sauce pan and pour 6 to 7 cups of water. As the water starts to boil add bay leaves, whole gram masala, hing, ½ teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of oil, chopped beans , carrots, baby corn and couscous.
- When you buy the couscous make sure what type you are buying because traditional couscous take longer time to cook than the instant one. If you have taken the instant one then cook as per package instruction but if you have taken the traditional one then cook it for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then drain the excess water and then gently fluff with a fork .
- Now on a pan heat oil. Add the whole cumin seed as it starts to splutter, add ginger and the bell peppers and chopped tomatoes stir for a minute. Add cumin powder, chopped green chilly, red chilly powder stir for few second then add the couscous with veggies.
- Add sugar, ghee and garam masala.
- Adjust seasoning. Mix the whole thing with soft hands.
- End up adding lemon juice and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Your mouthwatering colorful vegetable couscous pulao is ready.
Serve hot with any kind of raita of your choice.